Phased Array (PA) uses multiple ultrasonic elements and electronic time delays to create beams that can be steered, scanned, swept and focused electronically for thorough inspections, full data storage and multiple angle inspections.
- Multiple and varied beam angles allow for greater coverage and more accurate images that conventional UT.
- Offers speed, flexibility, data storage and imaging.
- Has the ability to test welds at multiple angles greatly increasing the probability of detecting anomalies.
- Portable phased array ultrasonic equipment is computerized and can be operated in manual, semi-automated or fully automated modes.
- Higher initial equipment and probe costs.
- Higher technician training required.
- Proper equipment set-up and calibration are critical for proper results.