Magnetic Particle (MT) is induced in the object. Iron fillings are then dusted onto the surface of the object being tested. If there is a defect, the fillings will cluster along the edges of the flaw. Variations include wet suspension and dry particle.
- The training is less demanding that UT, RT or ET training.
- MT is quick and cost effective.
- The results are instant and easy to interpret.
- Positive and reliable method of testing.
- Surface preparation not as critical.
- Only effective in ferromagnetic materials.
- Discontinuity detection is limited to at or near surface.
- Parts need to be de-greased and de-magnetized before and after inspection.
- Magnetic flux must be normal to the plant of the defect to show indications.