Automated Ultrasonic Testing (AUT) gives a map of the corrosion that has occurred on a pipeline. It uses ultrasound and scanners to locate and record the characteristics of the damage that has occurred.
- AUT is superior in that is can test a vessel while it’s in operation and can be used in temperatures of up to 700oF.
- High penetrating power and sensitivity.
- Very quick with 100% coverage over large areas.
- Automatic deployment mechanism improves test results due to consistent pressure on transducer, with steady motion and uniform coverage.
- Advanced technician knowledge required.
- Surface must be prepared by cleaning and removal of loose scale prior to inspection.
- Couplant required to provide transfer of ultrasonic wave energy.
- Rough, irregular parts are hard to inspect.